Is Teambox the next generation collaboration platform in the cloud
With Teamboxers spread across California and Barcelona, Teambox was initially an open source project as they released Teambox 2 (which made them popular) and Teambox 3, which users can download to have their own installs. Then, Teambox 4 was launched!
Teambox had more than 150,000 users when they launched their version 4 on January 16, 2012. Teambox 4 was not meant to be a downloadable open source version but rather their fully fledge online project management collaboration platform specifically designed/built to serve millions of users. Teambox was founded by Pablo Villalba, initially only based in Spain, but as the company gained more users and success it established ground in Silicon Valley. Current CEO is, former Tripwire and Compuware executive, Dan Schoenbaum while Josh Ireland, Teambox first US employee, manages North American Sales.
What is Teambox capable of? If you like Twitter, Facebook and many other social web concepts (to share and access information), you will love Teambox:
- Redefine load times: Teambox 4 is extremely fast! probably one of the most responsive online project management collaboration software today. And because load times are not an issue, Teambox 4 redefines the genre. Most Teambox 4 interfaces start by showing you high level titles of tasks/activities, and as you drill-down, information just loads almost instantly.
- Task management: You can define tasks, set task status (unassigned, hold, rejected, resolved), assign tasks to your project team and define due dates. Tasks are grouped into task lists before they are part of a project. You can also add discussions to tasks.
- Project management: You can define projects, create tasks lists per project, assign project members to the project and tasks, review projects by using a list view (all tasks listed one after the other) or a column view (where you can drag and drop tasks between task lists). You can start conversations and discussions at the project level which will also be updated on your own recent activity view.
- Recent activity view: This is your wall where you see all of the updates to your projects, your assigned tasks, conversations, file uploads, etc. If you are familiar to Facebook then you will know what we mean as Teambox has taken various social web concepts into the online project management arena.
- Task list templates: As projects are made of task lists, you can create and maintain task list templates, so if you perform that same project over and over again (but with some variations) you can kick start your project by selecting the task list templates that best model your project.
- File sharing and Wiki-style pages: You can create pages or upload documents/files to projects. Pages can serve multiple purposes like your own project notes, or any other project document that you want your team to review and maintain.
- Email integration: You can turn incoming emails into actionable tasks and reply from the same interface (send an email from Teambox). You can also set up email notifications when the task status changes or if the task has been re-assigned.
- Gantt diagrams: You can access simplified Gantt charts where all tasks can be visualized on a given project: start and end dates for milestones, visualize tasks (coming soon, today, overdue). You can use drag and drop functionality to move around tasks as well.
- Calendar view: You can review your calendar for your daily tasks or leave reminders/notes. This is another way to interact with your project if you like to see your individual assignments and how your week/month looks in terms of workload.
- Company-wide search: You can search on all your projects at once.
- Customizations: You can customize the Teambox experience: colors, logos, login page, email domain, Multi-language.
- Integration and apps: iPhone app for free, iPad app for free, Gmail app for Chrome, Google Chrome app, Mac app, Windows app, Helpdesk functionality app, Google Calendar integration, Google Docs integration
- Premium Features: These are only available when you get a paid online package: Group Chat (your place to have real-time discussions with your peers), Dropbox integration, Box integration (seamless access to your files when they are stored elsewhere).
Teambox pricing? Teambox online collaboration platform offers a Free package with no premium features as well as paid user packages with unlimited projects and storage!
- Free personal use: Free, 5 users, 5 projects, 5 GB, knowledge base support. No Premium features.
- Pro 5 users: $25 per month, 5 users, unlimited projects, unlimited storage, priority support, Premium features.
- Pro 10 users: $50 per month, 10 users, unlimited projects, unlimited storage, priority support, Premium features.
- Pro 15 users: $75 per month, 25 users, unlimited projects, unlimited storage, priority support, Premium features.
...Pro user packages for Professional collaboration continue all the way to 100 users. For +100 users you can contact them for custom plans. Annual discounts are also available. Here are more Teambox pricing options.
Our verdict about Teambox: Teambox was not designed for any specific project management purpose, to the contrary, it can accomodate any project scenario you can think of. From marketing or web design projects to software development or even sales management, you can tailor Teambox to fit your organization. We like the speed and flow of the interfaces, it is like a Facebook on steroids that make online collaboration a blast!
Is Teambox the only one of its kind? As many things in life... no, there are other options available in the market such as Basecamp, Podio, Thymer that also offer the latest social web features and innovation. Basecamp limits its plan to number of projects (10 projects for $20 per month) and provides unlimited users, but storage capacity is limited to 3 GB while Teambox plays on unlimited storage. Thymer limits number of users, projects and storage (25 projects, 5 users, 5GB for $24.95 per month), they have a single-user-plan for $49.95 per year but limited to 1 GB wih no user permissions. Probably Podio comes closer to Teambox as it provides unlimited projects, unlimited storage at $8.00/User/Month, but for 5 users: Teambox is still much more cost effective.
You can not go wrong with Teambox Free plan. With its 5 users, 5 projects and 5 GB is the most competive out there at no cost to you (Basecamp has no free plan but 45-day free trial, Thymer free plan is limited to 100MB, Podio free plan supports unlimited projects but limited to 1GB). It should be a no-brainer to try Teambox! It is fast, rich in social web features and available in multiple languages including Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Dutch, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Korean, etc. Way to go Teambox!
Posted on October 23, 2012